In the coming weeks the Trans Chorus of Los Angeles will be holding auditions for prospective members that wish to join us in our Fifth Season (2019 - 2020). We are leading the way in the choral world by being visible, bold and proud! We are a chorus of transgender, gender non-conforming/gender non-binary & intersex individuals using our voices to bring awareness, understanding, power and VICTORY for the Trans Community. We are looking for talented Singers, Musicians and Instrumentalists to perform with us at our regular events.
If you would like to participate but do not wish to sing, we are in search of people of any gender identity to join our 5th Section. These members help with the set up & tear down at performances, as well Sound Engineering, Social Media, Photography, Administrative & Archival duties and of course helping to serve food at our weekly potluck rehearsals.
If you're interested in joining us, please read on for how to attend one of our open rehearsals. Be sure to also fill out our Volunteer Form.
LA LGBT Center's Ed Gould Village (Black Box Theatre)
1125 N McCadden Pl, Los Angeles CA 90038
September 7th, 8th 2019 & September 14th, 15th 2019
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Sunday Open Rehearsals
September 8th 2019 & September 15th 2019
4:30pm - 7:30pm
Please Note: All prospective members who wish to join and attend one of our Auditions must also attend at least one of our Open Rehearsals.
What kind of musical or stage experience is expected?
TCLA performers should have: Some choral, show choir or musical theater experience, whether from having sung in a church, school or community group.
● Match Pitch which is singing back immediately what is heard.
● The ability to learn text in other languages and memorize music for performances.
● The ability to move rhythmically.
● The desire and commitment to perform a wide variety of music and have fun.
What kind of time commitment does TCLA membership require?
● Our Fifth season is about to begin with a wide array of performances.
● Singers are expected to commit to our weekly rehearsal and performance schedule for a minimum of one year. Attendance at rehearsals are mandatory in order to perform with the current roster of singers.
● TCLA is looking for dedicated Singers to vocal ambassadors to represent the Trans Community at large.
Where and when are TCLA rehearsals?
● Rehearsals are held every Sunday at 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm at the LA LGBT Center's Ed Gould Village (1125 N McCadden Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90038)
● Singers are REQUIRED to attend sectionals and pick up rehearsals.
What would be my financial obligations?
● All TCLA members currently pay an annual membership investment of ($15 a month) to help cover membership related activities. Other costs that members can expect are travel to and from rehearsals, parking at performance spaces, concert attire, touring, retreats and social events. Social events are optional.
What other responsibilities and activities will I have as a member?
● Performers are expected to fulfill TCLA’s mission, vision and core values and strive for excellence in performance. Therefore, the ability to rehearse and learn your music in a timely manner is really important. Punctuality and preparation are expected. TCLA requires that each singer provide their own concert attire. For many performances, this will be our concert Tee-shirt with black pants/skirt or in the colors of the Trans flag (pink, blue or white) and on some occasions we will wear classy, elegant, all black outfit with black shoes. Costumes will be required for the stage shows and help will be given to provide them.
● As performers, you will be asked to volunteer your talents, skills, for organizational
events and fundraisers.
Our 5th Section is great place for non-singers that want to help!
5th Section - A vital and necessary part of the chorus; is made up of non-singing members of the chorus that contribute in other ways. This can range from running the Sound Board at an event, to acting as Chorus Photographer. Even helping with Data Archiving or setting out food at our weekly potluck rehearsals can be of great help. 5th section are the behind the scenes members that make this chorus work!
Here's a sampling of the sort of tasks our 5th Section members take on:
● Sound Engineering, Lights & Stage Management
● Social Media Management
● Photography, Videography
● Instrumentalist, Composers
● Chorus administrative functions
● Library Archives & Music Distribution
● Minding the Green Room & Chorus members items
● Serving and cleanup of food at weekly potluck rehearsals
What can you tell me about the audition process?
All those applying as a performer at an open rehearsal on September 8th or 15th you will sit in and sing with a standard rehearsal next to one of our section leaders.
The audition will consist of two parts: a musical audition (For potential performers) and an interview (For all prospective members). The entire process takes around 15 minutes. During the musical audition, the Musical Director will ask you to:
● Sing scales and warm-ups to determine tonal quality and range
● Perform 16 bars of two contrasting songs (ballad, musical, pop, etc.,)
● Repeat simple melodic patterns to ascertain tonal memory and pitch recognition
● Sight-read a musical excerpt to determine your reading skill level
● Perform a short a cappella piece of your choice in any style to showcase your musicality
During the interview, you will meet with the current vocal section leaders and music staff who may ask you questions such as:
● What brought you to TCLA?
● What – if any – are your expectations of the organization?
● Do you play an instrument?
● How do you feel you can contribute toward the mission and vision of TCLA?
We'd love to hear from you! If you'd like to join please fill out our Volunteer Form.